Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Hint: Cobra needs better brakes...

A week ago I had the Cobra at Pacific Raceways and after the second session, this is what my right front brake rotor looked like this:



This of course, ended my day at the track, sigh. The crack was especially disappointing given these were crygenically treated, which translates to twice the price of normal rotors, and this was only the second track day using them.

In a way, I was not too surprised since it is almost unanimously accepted that the stock 2003 Cobra brakes are too weak for such a porker; mine weighs over 3800 lbs, wet.

Thanks to the Internet, and Maximum Motorsports, I ordered a set of 2000 Cobra R front brakes; these are a common front Brembo brake setup, originally used on the early 1990's Lotus Esprit. They arrived two days later and I installed them on Friday; here is what they look like:

IMG00075

Pretty! Well, they won't look that good for very long, that nice gold coating is there to prevent rust on the non-wear surfaces.

I'll be breaking them in for a couple of weeks before taking the car out to the track on June 6th. This breaking in period is called "seasoning the rotors", which heats them slowly over time to help prevent cracking... Cross your fingers!

No comments: